Thursday, December 31, 2009

Any advice on teaching my kids to have a healthy relationship with food?

Growing up I had A LOT of problems with food. I binged and purged for about 7 consecutive years, from the time I was 15 until I was 22. My relationship with food was so bad growing up. Food was always so comforting to me, because many of my best memories revolved around food, but I also had to watch my figure. My brother had an eating disorder as well, a serious one.


I just don't want my children to have an unhealthy relationship with food. I have decided that food is never going to be a form of reward or punishment.





What are some other ideas?Any advice on teaching my kids to have a healthy relationship with food?
As the child of a bulimarexia I can assure you you will give your children an eating disorder if you try to raise them without professional help. Start with


http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rm鈥?/a>





Look under eating disorders ans get help for you and your children now. Or you will mess them up. My mom kept me from knowing what she did so I am not a bulimic (unless you call an overweight obese old man bulimic I keep I don't toss) and I don't hate her because help did not exist when I was young but your children will despise you if you let it happen to them in this day and age when help is available AND THEY SHOULD.Any advice on teaching my kids to have a healthy relationship with food?
Well I suggest showing them the movie Fast Food Nation or Supersize It, and having them read the book Fast Food Nation. It really helps them understand the unhealthyness of some fast food. Always keep healthy snacks around the house and urge them to get healthier things when you go out to eat. It's a really great lifestyle.
Don't buy junk food. Always sit down to eat, even if it's just a snack. Don't make food a reward. Instead, watch a favorite movie or play a game, etc.. Eat healthy stuff like veggies and fruits. Don't snack a lot. Find ways to deal with stress other than eating, such as taking a walk around the block, etc..
Teach your children growing up that junk food does not need to be in their diet. You have control over what your children have for break fest, lunch, and dinner.
well like always eating their vegetables and eating little snacks in between meals so that they're not always hungry.
Never bring up your own problems, believe it or not, parents dumping thier past on their kids laps, can make the kids prepersendend to follow those foosteps.


Make meal time enjoyable, realise kids eat when their hungry and play when their not. Its ok to wrap their meal and let them ask for it later. I cant stress enough having a casual attitude, a family time to chat, laugh and enjoy each others company.


Read kids moods, patterns, so you know if by holding dinner an hour, and the child will have finished watching that movie or reading that book, or building that tower with building blocks will pay off.


Remember that meal time should be very pleasurable, for everyone, not just moms got to get out to the mall for that sale so slam down the meal lets run. Of course that will happen, but dont make it always like that. Be flexible. I wish someone would of told my mom that.
1 - don't use food as a punishment or reward


2 - don't ';make'; your kids finish everything on their plate


3 - learn how to make nutritious, tasty meals (get a cookbook by Jamie Oliver if you need advice - he's one of the best at teaching kids how to eat.


4 - don't go to just food restaurants often - once a every two or three weeks is max.


5 - be interested in what your kids eat and set a good example.


6 - don't keep lots of junk food around and open - learn what ';quick'; food is nutritious - not chip and cookies ice cream but pretzels and yogurt and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment